- October 18, 2012 is
National Chocolate Cupcake Day
- It’s National Chocolate Cupcake Day! Chocolate cupcakes are a delightful treat served at gourmet bakeries and kitchen tables across the country.
Cupcakes first emerged during the 19th century in the United States. There are two theories about how they got their name. One claims that the miniature cakes were originally baked in cups. The other suggests that the name comes from the recipe, which was measured out by the cup—one cup butter, two cups sugar, three cups flour, four eggs, one cup milk, one spoonful baking soda.
Cupcakes are now made with a variety of flavors, ingredients, and decorations, but simple chocolate cupcakes remain a perennial favorite. Bake, frost, and decorate a batch today to celebrate National Chocolate Cupcake Day!
“Good Morning America” has a ton of delicious chocolate cupcake recipes you can make for friends and family. Perfect for birthdays, bake sales, or just curbing your chocolate fix, these recipes are sure to bring a little sunshine to your day.
Here are a few tips on how to make your cupcakes look more like the ones at the bakery:
1. Consistency is key: Pipe batter into muffin cups or scoop batter using an ice cream scoop to create equal sized cupcakes.
2. Don’t over mix: Over mixing the batter causes a much more dense, tougher cupcake. Mix the batter until it is just incorporated to guarantee a lighter, fluffier result.
3. Baking is a science: Don’t estimate a cup of flour, measure it. The more consistent and exact you are in following a recipe, the better the cupcake.
4. Cool off: There’s no bigger mess that trying to frost a hot cupcake with cool icing. Let the cupcakes cool completely and then pipe or use a spatula to frost them with your favorite icing.
5. Use high-quality ingredients: If you can afford it, go for better quality ingredients. High-quality baking chocolate or using vanilla beans in your icing creates a much more flavorful product.
Here’s a few of our favorite recipes to try at home:
Guinness and Bailey Irish Cupcakes
Hungry Girl’s Chocolate Marshmallow Madness Cupcakes
Wolfgang’s Decadent Warm Chocolate Cupcakes With Molten Centers
Cat’s Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes